Why choose to grow your own Chilli & Pepper Seeds?
Chillies are a reliable addition to many home cooked dishes to provide flavour and heat. Peppers are the ultimate burst of fresh flavour in salads and are succulent and soft when cooked. Dobies offers a vast range of Chilli and Pepper Seeds for you to choose from, whether you are planning to grow something sweet and aromatic, or small and fiery.
If you like it hot, try the super hot Chilli ‘Fiery furnace’, and the popular ‘Jalapeno’ is a renowned chilli to spice up your pizzas and nachos. The easy to grow ‘Habanero’ chilli seeds are a must in jerk sauce.
If it’s Peppers you want to add to the plot, the ‘Corno di toro rosso’ is delightfully sweet and for container gardeners give ‘Mohawk’ a go in a hanging basket. Alternatively, ‘Yellow Bell’ is a great classic pepper boasting shiny yellow skin.
How to grow chillies from seed
- Sow seeds in seed trays, pots, propagators or glasshouse in decent organic compost in early spring
- Once plants have germinated and seedlings are looking established, they can be grown on a windowsill or conservatory. Remember to turn the plants when they are young to make sure the growth is even. Alternatively, plant out in garden or patio container once all danger of frosts has passed
- Chillies enjoy a good liquid feed such as Seaweed extract, apply little and often diluted in water or sprayed on with water in a sprayer. Switch to as Potash feed when plants become larger
- It's a good tip to occasionally mist down your plants with water, again using a sprayer, this will help prevent the troublesome spider mite. Beware of Whitefly if spotted use an Organic deterrent spray
- To acquire good bushy plants inch out for good bushy plants
How to sow Chilli and Pepper Seeds
- Chilli seeds and pepper seeds need to be planted into compost at a depth of 6mm
- Watering to keep the soil damp is particularly important whilst your chilli plant is flowering and forming their fruit
- Harvest Chillies and Peppers regularly to encourage further fruiting
Remember: to ensure you don’t cause any harm from handling fiery Chillies, wash your hands regularly and keep your fingertips away from your eyes.
Shop Chilli and Pepper seeds online from Dobies.