Join Our Gardening Club

Hyacinth Bulbs

Hyacinth bulbs produce sweet-smelling blooms and come in a range of vibrant colours. Hyacinths are simple to cultivate – they make a gorgeous house plant for Christmas, but can also produce a carpet of colour for your spring garden. Take a look at our full range of flowering bulbs to fill your garden with colour and scent.

Refine by

Refine Products

Hyacinth bulb FAQs

Hyacinth flowers are scent powerhouses. Best planted outdoors next to walkways, seating areas and entryways where their heady scent can be best appreciated in spring. These bulbs are small but mighty and flower with a lovely range of colours from pure white to a deep velvet purple. Force your own hyacinth bulbs to flower early indoors for Christmas if you can’t wait until spring to enjoy their gorgeous scent.

Do hyacinth bulbs multiply?

Hyacinth bulbs multiply if left in the ground after flowering. To encourage your hyacinth bulbs to multiply, cut the flower stalk after the blooms are past their best to prevent any seed formation. Allow the hyacinth leaves to die back naturally during the spring, making sure to continue watering the bulbs through the spring and summer. Expect to see your hyacinth bulbs multiply over the following few years.

When to plant hyacinths

Plant hyacinth bulbs outdoors in autumn. Fill your container with multi-purpose compost with a handful of horticultural grit for drainage and plant your hyacinth bulbs ten centimetres deep, pressing down the soil and watering your bulbs in. Do the same in your garden beds and borders. Apply a layer of mulch over your bulbs after watering.

For indoor blooms at Christmas, plant your hyacinth bulbs in September. Plant your bulbs leaving the tips visible on the surface of the compost and move them to a cool, dark space for ten weeks until shoots appear before bringing indoors.

Are hyacinths poisonous to animals?

Hyacinth bulbs are poisonous for dogs and cats. The leaves and flowers are toxic too but the bulb contains the highest concentration of the problematic toxins. If you suspect a pet of ingesting any part of a hyacinth, it’s a good idea to take them to the vets for treatment to avoid any nasty complications.