Why choose Broccoli Seeds?
Broccoli is part of the cabbage and cauliflower family, and are all Brassicas with many different and unusual varieties to choose from. Once you have sowed your broccoli seeds in your plot, a running long harvest is guaranteed. They not only taste delicious fresh off the plant, but are an ultimate superfood with great nutritional values, especially when steam cooked!
Dobies hefty selection seed’s broccoli’s with different forms, colours and some with edible foliage too. From all year-round purple sprouting, continuity mixes and exotic Broccoli like 'Quarantina'.
Growing Broccoli from seed
- Broccoli can be sown late winter to early spring or even autumn sowing, giving you the opportunity for a near-constant supply of this healthy veg
- Start your seeds in small pots in a greenhouse or propagator, with a decent peat-free compost. Sieve over the broccoli seedlings to give them a really strong start. Can be sown in drills in open ground when the soil warms up.
- Once your pot grown Broccoli is large enough to handle its time to plant out. Dig in good organic matter prior to planting out and some chicken pellets for a Nitrogen feed.
- It's a good idea to put netting over Broccoli to protect against the pigeons. This will also protect against hungry Caterpillars. It’s worth growing plants on until they are at 4 to 6 leaves as this will deter snails and slugs. Set traps for them if sown open ground.
- If weather is unusually warm beware of the plant setting seed as quick as possible (bolting) – remove any forming flowers to prevent this.
Growing broccoli from seed might be familiar, but they are a must-have addition to every veg patch and allotment. A helpful tip would be: water broccoli plants deeply in the early morning so both the soil and plant soak the water up. If they are growing on a windy site, staking and support will help these plants.
Buy Broccoli Seeds UK from Dobies!