Grow your own Carrot Seeds
A classic root vegetable, Carrots are a rewarding plot to plate veg and a statement in the allotment. Grow your own with Dobies range on offer, with Carrot seeds for all kinds of gardening scenarios. If you plan to grow in a pot or container on the patio or balcony, then the ‘Nantes’ is one of the easiest to grow and will produce early crops. For a splash of colour in the raised beds, choose the tasty ‘Rainbow Mix’ or if you’re feeling rebellious against the traditional orange carrot, try ‘Purple Sun’.
How to grow Carrot plants from seed?
- Before sowing carrots, it is important to make sure you have nice light soil. Heavy clay or stony ground will be disliked by Carrots. If growing in containers mix plenty of Organic matter and horticultural sand into the soil prior to sowing
- Fork your ground until nice and crumbly, firm it and rake level. Sow in a drill marked with a garden line. Sow carrots quite thick and carefully thin out excess seedlings and remove
- March to July is the best time to sow carrot seeds
- Protect carrots from Carrot fly, a small pest that will damage your carrots. They are attracted by damaged foliage, so it’s important to remove any discarded seedlings or damaged leaves. Carrot flies ironically do not like heights, so planting in raised beds will also solve this problem
- Keep the soil moist around the Carrots and Hoe between your rows to remove weeds
- Multiple sowings from March until late summer will give a steady supply throughout the summer and intercropping with other crops good use of space
Essential Carrot growing tips:
To get Carrots away early, warm the soil up and sow underneath fleece in March. As they grow you can mulch them with a thin layer of grass clippings or other organic matter, this will help retain moisture. The occasional application of liquid fertiliser is beneficial.
The final top tip, leave out one of your hearty carrots from your harvest and let it flower. Carrot flowers are unique but wonderful and will attract all the bees and butterflies, so why not nurture wildlife too.
Buy Carrot Seeds UK from Dobies!