What makes Dobies Brussels Sprout seeds special?
A classic tradition at Christmas, Brussels Sprouts are a member of the Brassicas family and are far more than a plain vegetable they are often perceived to be. We love Brussels Sprouts for being so tasty and versatile in cooking, and they are also very hard plants and will survive through the winter. Exposure to cold weather even helps them become full of taste.
Dobies range offers new and unique varieties to try like ‘Red Rubine’ and ‘Flower Sprout’, which you won’t typically find in the supermarket. Alternatively, if you prefer continuous cropping, the ‘Continuity Mix’ will feed the whole family.
How to grow Brussels Sprouts from seed
- Start your Brussel seeds in Tray cells from Mid-March to April. Use a Good peat compost and make sure it's firmed and sieved.
- Alternatively, like many Brassicas they can be started in a seedbed away from their final positioning, this reduces the chances of diseases like Club Root. Transplant 4 to 5 leaves. Important to consolidate Brussels when they are replanted.
- They can be hungry plants so use a Nitrogen base dressing and a few buckets of rotted manure prior to planting.
- Brassicas are popular with other life forms, so beware of pigeons, net or cage them to be safe. Inspect them for pest damage, particularly when young.
- Water frequently as the plants establish and give them an organic mulch as they mature.
When should you plant Brussels Sprouts seed?
- The sprout seeds need to be sown into a seedbed frame at the depth of 13mm during March or early April
- When the plants are large enough to handle they can be transplanted
- Brussels seed germination takes place within 7-12 days
To achieve the most delicious Brussels Sprouts, the key is to be patient, as they are a slower crop to mature on your veg patch compared to other vegetables. The time to harvest is when a small tight ball has developed on the plant stem. Support the plant with canes if necessary. It’s important to note that you should never grow on the same ground the following year, so move on to soil that did not contain Brassicas last year.
Buy Brussels sprout seeds UK from Dobies!