Why grow Cabbage plant seeds?
No matter the season, there’s potential for cabbages to harvest all year round if you do a little planning. Purple, red or green, Dobies range of Cabbage Seeds come in all shapes, forms and sizes and are a renowned vegetable in allotments all over the world. They are versatile in cooking, and a statement in roast dinners, a cabbage adds flavour and texture to hot and cold meals. It gets better, Cabbages are rich in nutrients and packed full of vitamins. They are particularly a great source of folate and potassium.
Dobies range of cabbage seeds can fit all your growing needs and there is a cabbage which can adapt for you. Add flavour through the Winter like 'Winter Jewel' or if you prefer a crisp red Cabbage, ‘Romanov’ is a popular choice. Last but not least, a traditional favourite ‘The Savoy’ is a must on the plot.
How to grow Cabbages from seed?
- Sow away from the final growing position in a nicely prepared seedbed or a seed tray. When sown in a tray, prick them out into pots when big enough to handle.
- It’s good to sow Cabbage early in the spring with a view to planting out in early summer for cropping at the end of the year. There are many cabbage varieties so check your variety for details.
- Cabbages are hungry plants so it's a good idea to plant on soil where Legumes have been dug in the previous season. Or add a slow-release fertiliser with good Nitrogen content.
- Protect your Cabbages as the birds, Caterpillars and slugs will take a shine to them. Use cloche, netting, Polytunnels as brassica cages, this will make sure you get the perfect Cabbage.
- Its good practice to remove any dead or dying leaves also, this will help prevent fungal issues developing on the leaves.
- A good tip is to plant aromatic herbs around your Cabbages to deter other creatures that may take a shine to them.
How deep should you sow cabbage seed?
Sow in a seedbed at the depth of 13mm. Germination will take between 7 and 12 days. When the cabbage plants are big enough to handle they can be transplanted. They dislike acidic soils, so try a PH test and add plenty of Organic matter to raise the PH if required.
Final tip: To ensure that crisp and fresh taste is retained, they store well in cool dry conditions.
Buy cabbage seeds UK from Dobies!