Our Windowsill Mushroom Kits will allow anyone to grow chestnut mushrooms from their very own windowsill. Handfuls of tan coloured button mushrooms will just be clutches away to throw in your favourite dish.
Like the white button mushroom, these small chestnut mushrooms are slightly stronger in flavour. With our handy kits, you’ll soon be picking delicious chestnut mushrooms, at the fraction of the cost of buying them at the supermarket.
Whether you’re a novice or beginner this handy kit includes a base tray, lid and pre spawned substrate and easy to follow instructions.
Simply keep them moist and out of direct sunlight and your first crop should be ready to pick in a matter of weeks, plus you can expect at least another 2 pickings after that. Dimensions: 17.5cm (7") x 27.5cm (11") x 8cm (3½") depth.These kits need to be started on receipt and are unsuitable for storage. If this purchase is intended as a Christmas gift please order 241405.
Dimensions: 17.5cm (7") x 27.5cm (11") x 8cm (3½") depth.
See the video below on how to use your mushroom kit.
Mushrooms are marvellous! Low in calories, high in protein and great sources of fibre - for those on plant-based diets. They also provide you with B vitamins, selenium, potassium, copper and can help with the production of vitamin D. And they're delicious too! Saute, fry, roast or create superb soups.
Full growing instructions included.
Always wash your hands before you handle any of the kits to avoid bacteria contaminating the substrates and development of other moulds.
This kit contains a base tray, colonised substrate, a bag of cover compost and a plastic lid.
1. Take the bag with cover compost from the base tray and store it in a cool place.
2. Set the base tray with the plastic lid on top aside for + 4 days at a temperature of 20–25°C. After this period, the substrate will have turned completely white with fungus (mycelium).
3. Now take the bag with cover compost and punch ten holes in each side. Put the bag in 0.5 litres of water for 20 minutes, open the bag and spread the cover compost evenly and loosely over the substrate.
4. Now put the tray aside with the lid closed for 5–8 days, at a temperature of 20–25°C. In this period, the mycelium will grow through the layer of cover compost to the surface. Once the cover compost is covered with white mycelium, put the tray in a cooler space of 15–18°C.
5. Make sure that the surface of the cover compost does not dry out by regularly mist spraying with a plant spray.
6. If a good number of pins appear, you may water the set with a watering can. The substrate and cover compost should be moist, but not too wet. The mushrooms firs appear at the edges, and later in the centre.
7. Harvesting: Take a mushroom between your fingertips and carefully pull it out with a twist of the hand. Do not pull out without twisting and do not harvest undersized mushrooms. Always water
regularly to prevent the cover substrate from drying out.
8. If all mushrooms have been harvested, water again. After around a week, new mushrooms appear. This process may repeat itself three times.
Good Luck & Bon Appetit !
Please note that when several items are ordered they may not all be delivered at the same time.
Packet seed only will incur a carriage charge of £2.99.
All other products incur a carriage charge of £4.99.
Non Standard Deliveries
Very Large items
Prices include VAT where applicable.
Mushroom Windowsill Kit - Chestnut