BENEFITS OF SEED POTATOES
• The potato is now a staple food for two thirds of the World's population.
• An acre of land planted with potatoes produces four times as much food as the same plot planted with corn and is much easier to harvest and prepare.
• Potatoes are the world's leading non-grain food crop.
• Britain produces six million tonnes of potatoes a year involving 3,400 commercial growers.
• Boiled potatoes have the 2nd highest concentration of folic acid after bread. Baked in its skin, an average sized spud contains over 30% of the Recommended Daily Allowance.
• Potatoes contain no cholesterol.
• Potatoes provide approx 15% of Britain's Vitamin C intake. Rice and pasta provide none whatever.
• The British Nutrition Foundation says that one of the keys to healthy weight-loss is to eat 'more carbohydrate-rich foods such as potatoes'.
• Potatoes are 72-75% water, 16-20% carbohydrate, 2-2.5% protein, 0.15% fatty acids, 1-1.8% dietary fibre.
• Potatoes actually top bananas in potassium content: a medium banana contains roughly 450 mg, while a medium baked potato or 20 French fries contains 750 mg.
• One medium potato supplies, on average, 30 mg vitamin C, nearly as much as in a glass of tomato juice and 1.5 mg iron, which is around the same amount as in an egg.