A sought after mushroom
A sought-after gourmet mushroom, with a rich, smoky flavour and meaty texture. With this handy kit you'll soon be picking delicious fresh Shiitake mushrooms, at a fraction of the cost of buying them at the supermarket
Kits comprise base tray, lid and pre-spawned substrate. They come with easy-to-follow instructions and are incredibly easy to use.
Simply keep them moist and out of direct sunlight and your first crop should be ready to pick in a matter of weeks, plus you can expect at least another 2 pickings after that (See full instructions in Growing Info below).
These kits need to be started on receipt and are unsuitable for storage. If this purchase is intended as a Christmas gift please order 246545.
Dimensions: 17.5cm (7") x 27.5cm (11") x 8cm (3½") depth.
Mushrooms are marvellous! Low in calories, high in protein and great sources of fibre - for those on plant-based diets. They also provide you with B vitamins, selenium, potassium, copper and can help with the production of vitamin D. And they're delicious too! Saute, fry, roast or create superb soups.
Aftercare - Easy:True
Aftercare - Moderate:False
Aftercare - High:False
Likes Acidic Soil:False
Greenhouse, Glass House or Home:True
Partial or Full Shade:True
Full growing instructions included.
Always wash your hands before you handle any of the kits to avoid bacteria contaminating the substrates and development of other moulds.
The kit contains a base tray, plastic lid and a plastic bag with a substrate of sawdust.
If you see any white/brown bumpy growths, these indicate early mushroom fruition. These bumps will later become the shiitake mushrooms.
1. Cultivation: Remove the substrate from the plastic bag and immerse the substrate in a bucket filled with cold tap-water for 24 hours. Lay a heavy object on top of the substrate to keep it under water. After 24 hours place substrate in the tray and cover with transparent lid.
Please note: if mushrooms are already growing on the substrate, you may skip the immersion step.
2. Place kit in daylight, ideally on a windowsill facing north at a temperature of + 15°C. Wait until + 50% of the surface has turned brown. During this time, keep the kit covered with the transparent lid.
3. Spray the cultivation substrate at least once a day with a plant spray to prevent it from drying out.
4. Harvesting: The harvest period is around one week and the fully-grown mushrooms have a cap diameter of 4–8cm.
5. After a harvest, let the substrate rest for at least 15 days. During this rest period, take the kit from the windowsill and keep it in a place which is neither too dry, or too hot (a cellar is ideal).
6. After this period, repeat the cycle, starting at point 2. The second harvesting period arrives after 5–10 days. During a period of maximum 6 months, you may have 5 to 8 harvests.
Good Luck & Bon Appetit !